Friday, July 19, 2019

52 Weeks of Art: Week 3

Week 3: Food Art


Welcome to week 3 of 52 weeks of art! What are we doing this week?


     Now, you might be wondering what food art is. Yeah, me too. There were so many different ways we could have gone with this one. We could have made some art out of food. Like this...

Amazing, right?

     Or, we could have made some stamps from food and made some food stamped art!

Fun, right?

     In the end, we decided to go with cookies. Now, even with cookies we could have done different things! We chose to paint the cookies. Painted cookies? Yeah, it's a thing. And it's amazing! Just Google hand painted cookies. Go ahead, I'll wait. Check out these awesome cookies!

I found these here

     Here's some photos of me making cookies.

Getting ready to roll out some dough. Thanks Alton Brown for the recipe!

     I had to cut out my 3" x 3" squares. I have a bazillion cookie cutters. You want a dinosaur? I got 20. You need a heart? What size, I've got every one. You need your state? Where do you live? I've got all 50 states. You need a voodoo doll? Zombie? Check. Double check. Need a square? Uh... nope. Don't have one of those. Luckily, I have a ruler and a knife!

Cutting cookies into 3x3 squares

Baked and ready to ice. 
Look how shiny that icing is!

     While my icing was drying - which takes forever, by the way - I gathered up my supplies! I used AmeriColor for my paint. You can get it here on Amazon for $26 for 12 colors. FYI a little bit goes a LONG way. This stuff will last a long time.


Got my supplies all ready to go.

     In case you were wondering, the vodka was for the painting, not for drinking. However, I guess if you want to drink and paint cookies at the same time you could. I'm not a drinker, just a cookie painter.


Did some painting. Waiting for it to dry. 

     I added all the finishing touches with a food safe pen. 

Added the finishing touches!

Done!

Done!

It's a flower!

It's a field of flowers, can you tell?

     Well, what do you think of my cookie painting? I had fun doing it. The kids had fun painting the cookies too. And eating them. What's better than eating your work?


On to rating cookie painting...

     Just a reminder on the criteria for rating each medium.

Ease of use: How easy was this medium to use.

Affordability: How affordable supplies are for each medium.

Accessibility: How easily accessible supplies are for each medium. Example, are specific tools required that are hard to find?

Fun to Use: How much enjoyment I got out of using this medium

     So, for cookie painting my rating is: 19

Ease of use: 4
    Painting cookies was easy. Especially if you have any sort of painting experience. You just have to be careful not to poke holes in your icing. I don't know, maybe I just didn't wait long enough for my icing to dry.

Affordability: 5
     Cookies are really cheap to make. And pretty much anyone can bake a cookie, right? You don't need fancy cookie cutters, you can just freehand cutting your own designs. $26 for some food color gel might seem like a lot, but you can just buy individual colors. Also, a little bit of color goes a long way. You'll be able to paint MANY cookies with your food coloring.

Accessibility: 5
     You can get everything you need to bake your cookies and make icing at any grocery store. Food color gel can be found online or in specialty baking stores.

Fun to Use: 5
     I had fun painting cookies. I think the best part of painting cookies is having cookies to eat when you're done.

     If you would like to go on this epic art adventure with me, next week we will be doing...



     If you choose to follow along, please post your work using #52weekartadventure!

No comments: