Friday, July 26, 2019

52 Weeks of Art: Week 4

Week 4: Wire


Welcome to week 4 of 52 weeks of art! What are we doing this week?


     Wire sculpting. What is it? Thank you, Google, for showing me some amazing examples...


I found this beauty here with several other amazing pieces.


Check out this awesome piece here!


     Now, I haven't done much 3D art over the years, but I have made a few crowns out of wire for The Oldest for Halloween costumes. Wire and hot glue. Hot glue is the best. You can do pretty much anything with it.

Crown #1 -  about 5 years ago - Ice Queen

Crown #2 - about 2 years ago - Black Swan

     That's about the extent of my wire sculpting. Until this week. I pulled out all my wire supplies.

Thanks, Little One, for the photograph! You're the best!

     And I got to work...

Can you tell what it is yet?

     I have to admit, I was really excited about making this wire sculpture. I really got into it, so much so that I only took the one progress picture. Sorry about that. I used a few different gauges, 20, 24, and 26. If you don't know, the smaller the number of gauge, the thicker the wire.


And here's the finished sculpture.



Wire Jellyfish - from the side

Wire Jellyfish - from the front

Wire Jellyfish - from the other side

Wire Jellyfish - from the back

Wire Jellyfish Sculpture - 20, 24, 26 gauge wire and block of wood


      That's it. My tiny wire sculpture. In case you can't tell, it's a jellyfish. The Little One helped me out with my photography. We used a kitchen towel and a cutting board. Use what you've got, right?



On to rating wire sculpting...

     Just a reminder on the criteria for rating each medium.

Ease of use: How easy was this medium to use.

Affordability: How affordable supplies are for each medium.

Accessibility: How easily accessible supplies are for each medium. Example, are specific tools required that are hard to find?

Fun to Use: How much enjoyment I got out of using this medium

     So, for wire sculpting my rating is: 18

Ease of use: 4
    I think that as long as you've got some good pliers it's pretty easy to bend the wire how you want. The thicker wires weren't as easy, but I was still able to do what I needed with the right pliers.

Affordability: 4
     I don't know about you, but I don't normally have spools of wire laying around my house. Is that right, is it a spool? I think so. Anyhow, I had some, but I still didn't have the size I needed for this project. I did have to buy some. I just bought it from Joann's, using one of their many coupons. The total was less than $10. Not bad, but it could get expensive depending on how much wire you're needing for your project.

Accessibility: 5
     Wire of all sizes is pretty easy to get. Most craft stores carry it or you can order it online and have it delivered straight to your house. I got my pliers from Harbor Freight because they sell them on the cheap.

Fun to Use: 5
     I loved wire sculpting! I think I'll be making more sculptures in the future! I had a lot of fun with this project. I know that my kids got frustrated when they were trying to make their own, but they still had fun.

     If you would like to go on this epic art adventure with me, next week we will be doing...



     If you choose to follow along, please post your work using #52weekartadventure!

No comments: