Friday, October 18, 2019

52 Weeks of Art: Week 16

Week 16: Crayons


Welcome to week 16 of 52 weeks of art! What are we doing this week?


          This week I channeled my inner child. Crayons. Now, I could have been boring and just colored a picture with crayons. But, I really wanted to explore the creative ways you can use crayons. So, naturally, I headed to the internet to see what other people have done with crayons. I'm sure you've seen plenty of these:

Here's some instructions on how to make this.

     Just go to Google and search "crayon art" and you'll get a million pictures of art that looks very similar to the above picture. Well, I wanted something less crafty-ish. Not that these types of pictures are bad! No, I think some of them are quite beautiful and unique, I just didn't want to use crayons this way. 
     I talked to Rebecca, my partner is crime for this art adventure, and we decided on a way to use our crayons. Luckily, she has lots and lots of crayons. Would you believe I couldn't find any crayons anywhere in my house? Not. A. One.
      We decided to melt our crayons, but not like the above picture. No, we used an electric griddle (covered in foil so crayon wouldn't melt all over it) and put our paper on top. We drew on the paper with the crayons. As we drew, the hot (hot-ish, really) griddle melted the crayons. There was something very therapeutic about melting the crayons that way.
     We did have to babysit the griddle the whole time, though. It would start to cool down after a time and we'd have to turn it up again. It never really got hot enough to burn you, but it was uncomfortably warm. So much so that you couldn't rest your hand on the griddle.
     And here's some of what I created...

This is just fun melting crayons.

This is supposed to be some flowers. The Oldest says it looks like eyeballs floating in slime.

I don't know what this is.

Mountains, sky, and sea.
 



On to rating crayons...

     Just a reminder on the criteria for rating each medium.

Ease of use: How easy was this medium to use.

Affordability: How affordable supplies are for each medium.

Accessibility: How easily accessible supplies are for each medium. Example, are specific tools required that are hard to find?

Fun to Use: How much enjoyment I got out of using this medium

     So, for crayons, my rating is: 20

Ease of use: 5
   Crayons have got to be the easiest art supply to use. Seriously. But, if you're melting them, like I did, just be careful you do not burn yourself. Watch the little ones closely if you're doing it with children.

Affordability: 5
     Crayons are incredibly affordable. I will say, though, that I am kind of crayon snob. The Crayola crayons, in my opinion, are the best. They color the best. They melt the best. They are just overall the best crayon to use. Luckily, even Crayola crayons are still very affordable. AND, melting the crayons this way, on a griddle, doesn't use up much of the crayon.

Accessibility: 5
     Crayons are one of those things that are sold just about everywhere.

Fun to Use: 5
    I really enjoyed using the crayons this way. Melting them was really fun. Again, something very therapeutic about just melting a bunch of crayons. Fun. Fun. Fun.


     If you would like to go on this epic art adventure with me, next week we will be doing...



     If you choose to follow along, please post your work using #52weekartadventure!

No comments: