Friday, January 17, 2020

52 Weeks of Art: Week 27

Week 27: Sharpie




Welcome to week 27 of 52 weeks of art! What are we doing this week?



      
     I'm sure that everyone out there knows what a Sharpie is. Right? We all have them, some of us probably just have them tossed into our junk drawers. I have them all over the house, in every room. It's kind of a problem, I have so many. SO MANY.

     Now, you might be thinking, isn't a Sharpie just a marker? Didn't you already do marker back on week 14? Yes. And yes. I put Sharpie down as a separate medium, though, because it is listed as it's own category when entering some art shows. Did you know that? I never would have guessed. I thought it was just marker.

     The reason that I have so many Sharpies (it's a crazy amount, like 100ish) is because I used them to make lunch napkins for my Little One every day. She has Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS) and has to be careful with what she eats. Anything processed will set off her CVS. So, because of this she had to take home lunch to school. She was really upset about it in Kindergarten because she was the only kid in her class that took home lunch. She wanted to be like everyone else. To try and make her feel better about the whole thing, I started making lunch napkins for her. I would draw her pictures, write her notes, pretty much anything to cheer her up about having home lunch.

     The Little One is now in 7th grade. She's "too cool" to have her mom send her to school with lunch napkins now, but I still have all the Sharpies. So, now I have a reason to put them all to use again. I'll probably never really be a Sharpie artist, but it's fun going back to using something I haven't used in a while.

     The best part about Sharpies, is you can use them on pretty much anything. I have seen many people do some creative things with Sharpies on shoes. Shoe art is something I can't really see myself doing. I would be so worried about ruing the art on my shoes that I'd never wear them.

     Alright, on to my work of art. My Sharpie masterpiece! Most of my Sharpie art over the years has been done on paper towels. I decided against using a paper towel for this week. I used some cold press water color paper. It's a lot different than using a paper towel, that's for sure.



   

          
On to rating Sharpie...

     Just a reminder on the criteria for rating each medium.

Ease of use: How easy was this medium to use.

Affordability: How affordable supplies are for each medium.

Accessibility: How easily accessible supplies are for each medium. Example, are specific tools required that are hard to find?

Fun to Use: How much enjoyment I got out of using this medium

     So, for Sharpie, my rating is: 20

Ease of use: 5
 Using a Sharpie is just as easy as using a pen. It's up to you to make it as difficult or complex as you want.

Affordability: 5
     Sharpies are not all that expensive. We're talking like $20 for a pack of 24 colors.

Accessibility: 5
     Sharpies are sold in just about every store everywhere.

Fun to Use: 5
  I like using Sharpies. Of course, I've been using Sharpies for years. If you've never used Sharpies, you might not like them. Who knows? Give it a try.


     If you would like to go on this epic art adventure with me, next week we will be doing...



     If you choose to follow along, please post your work using #52weekartadventure!

No comments: