Friday, January 31, 2020

52 Weeks of Art: Week 29

Week 29: Mixed Media




Welcome to week 29 of 52 weeks of art! What are we doing this week?


     This week our medium was mixed media. I love mixed media! It's an anything goes type of medium. In order to qualify as mixed media, you have to use more than one medium. That's it! With so many medium choices out there, there really are so many possibilities. The most common mixed media art out there is collage and paint. 

    Here's some examples of various mixed media art:
I found this here.


I found this guy on Pinterest.

   There are so many more mixed media pieces out there I could show you. I think you get the idea of what it is. While you only need two mediums to consider it mixed media, I decided to use 5 different mediums. I used pen, ink, watercolor, gouache, and origami. 

    Alright, here's what I made:

Riding the Waves. Mixed Media. 3"x 3" on illustration board.

     Here's some pictures pointing out what each medium is. I know, I should have taken pictures between each medium. I am just getting worse and worse at taking pictures of this whole process. Ugh. I will try to do better next time. But don't expect it to actually happen.


All of the lines in the waves are different pens.

I used ink for the dark "inky" sky.

I used various shades of blue in watercolor to paint the waves.

I used some white gouache to add foam to the waves. I tried to add some texture, not sure you can tell from the picture.

I made a tiny origami paper boat. 
    That's my mixed media adventure for the week. I thought about adding a tentacle grabbing the boat, but I feel like that tiny paper boat has enough to worry about.


   
          
On to rating mixed media...

     Just a reminder on the criteria for rating each medium.

Ease of use: How easy was this medium to use.

Affordability: How affordable supplies are for each medium.

Accessibility: How easily accessible supplies are for each medium. Example, are specific tools required that are hard to find?

Fun to Use: How much enjoyment I got out of using this medium

     So, for mixed media, my rating is: 20

Ease of use: 5
 Mixed media is so very easy to use since you can use literally anything.

Affordability: 5
     Mixed media is very affordable since you can use anything you've got lying around the house. You can even use some old magazines, some junk mail advertisements, other miscellaneous things you might otherwise throw away. Here's your chance to reuse, recycle, and re-purpose.

Accessibility: 5
     I'm going to say that mixed media is the most accessible of all the mediums because you can use whatever you have.

Fun to Use: 5
  I love mixed media. The possibilities are endless.


     If you would like to go on this epic art adventure with me, next week we will be doing...



     If you choose to follow along, please post your work using #52weekartadventure!

No comments: