Friday, January 24, 2020

52 Weeks of Art: Week 28

Week 28: Oil Pastel




Welcome to week 28 of 52 weeks of art! What are we doing this week?



      
     This week we were working with oil pastels. I'll be honest here, I do NOT like using oil pastels. This is our 28th week, our 28th medium, and I can say this is the one I like the least so far. I have only used oil pastels a handful of times. What are oil pastels? Well, they are like a really waxy, sticky, worse version of a crayon. I apologize right now to anyone who loves using oil pastels, I hate them.

     Oil pastels are used sort of like regular pastels. You color the paper, you blend it, ta da - done. I think the thing I hate the most about oil pastels is the blending. I find it so difficult to blend oil pastels and not have it turn out muddy. I also find it difficult to get a clean line. It's messy. But, somehow, people out there are able to make it work. Here's some examples of people making oil pastels look good:

This oil pastel piece and be purchased here.


There are some beautiful oil pastel pieces here.

     Since I really struggled with making clean lines and blending, I decided to not even try to make clean lines. I took my inspiration from one of my all time favorite artists, Van Gogh. His sunflower paintings are some of my favorite paintings. I know that I am no Van Gogh, but here is my take on his sunflowers in oil pastel:

Sunflowers. Oil pastel on hot press watercolor paper.



   
          
On to rating oil pastel...

     Just a reminder on the criteria for rating each medium.

Ease of use: How easy was this medium to use.

Affordability: How affordable supplies are for each medium.

Accessibility: How easily accessible supplies are for each medium. Example, are specific tools required that are hard to find?

Fun to Use: How much enjoyment I got out of using this medium

     So, for oil pastel, my rating is: 14

Ease of use: 3
 Oil pastels are easy enough to color with, but blending and clean lines are difficult.

Affordability: 5
     You can get a cheap Crayola set of oil pastels for like $6 for 28 colors. So yeah, oil pastels are cheap if it's something you'd you like to try out.

Accessibility: 5
     Oil pastels are really available in arts and crafts stores everywhere. You can also find them online.

Fun to Use: 1
  I hate using oil pastels. Hate them. I don't want to dissuade anyone from trying out oil pastels, but I really just don't like them. If you're a fan of pastels, I think you should give oil pastels a try.


     If you would like to go on this epic art adventure with me, next week we will be doing...



     If you choose to follow along, please post your work using #52weekartadventure!

No comments: